Sunday, December 15, 2013

Radical Acts

Buckle up, I'm about to get more personal here than I think I ever have before.  I started this blog, two and a half year ago now, I believe as an act of self-expression.  At the time I was crafting heavily, spending a lot of time on message boards and just starting to get into the whole follow this blog versus that blog craze.  I guess I was probably full of a bit of "my stuff is as good or better so I need to put it out there" too.  Total honestly here.  

But I needed paper crafting as a way to sort of deal with the rest of my life and everything going on in it.  Some of you know that I have a little boy with autism.  I don't talk about it a lot here because I wanted this to be my autism free zone frankly,  it's permeates so much of my life.  I wanted a place where that wasn't front and center.  Spending time in my craft room was therapy.  And from the looks of everything I've accumulated over this time, that therapy hasn't come cheaply.

Over months of soul searching and taking a real and hard look at what this is and what it has been, I have come to place where I understand that I don't need this place to be what it was before, which was frankly, an escape.  And with that escape came the whole blogging culture, the challenges, the design teams, the blog followers, the adulating that comes along with it.  Creating to blog, not blogging what I've create is where I found myself at various points over these last two and a half years.  Not all of the time, but enough of the time to suck a bit of the joy out of this.  Hmmm, that's not so healthy, and not why I started doing this and  it's not why  or how I want to continue creating.  

So where does that leave me and my craft?  In a pretty good place actually. If there is anything I am certain of its that this is a craft, my craft, I am good at it, and I still get a tremendous amount of joy out of it.  But the focus has changed from an escape to expression nothing more, nothing less.  And who knows what else I may need it to be in the future, I am open to whatever my artist wants to use this platform for.  But for right now I know that my days in the blogging fast lane are over.  And with that statement I feel a tremendous amount of relief and peace.

My plan, currently, is to blog whenever I feel like it.  It may be a few times over the course of months, it may be eighteen times in a single month if I've been really creative and have a ton of stuff to share.  I've actually got three projects now that I want to share, I just haven't felt like photographing them yet.  Eh, not going to worry about that so much anymore.

I'm giving up the worry about the trends, about the new product, the design teams, the really goofy stuff that should never have been a part of this to begin with. I am a competitive person by nature, and I have to do a bit of self-check to make sure I don't bring that back into this.  This is not the place for that. I am going back to basics - me and paper.  And maybe vinyl.  And glass etching.  I have been really wanting to try watercolors too! Some of it will be really good, some exceptional, and some is going to be just okay if not kind of stinky (it does actually happen).  It's all mine and I own and embrace it all.  Right now, this is what is best, what I know is necessary for me.

If you're along for the ride, however it has changed, great.  If not, thanks for being around as long as you have.  I wish you the best in your crafty endeavors.  

So there it is. The big Radical Act, which really in the great scheme of things is not so big, but again, very necessary.

I want to share a quote with you from a book I have been reading and working through.  It's called The Artist's Way.  It's by Julia Cameron and it's a twelve week course in regaining your creativity.  It has been life-changing in ways that I just can't describe.  I can't recommend this book enough.  Anyway, back to the quote:  "Living is a form of not being sure, not knowing what next or how.  The moment you know how, you begin to die a little.  The artist never entirely knows.  We guess.  We may be wrong, but we take leap after leap in the dark."  ~ Agnes de Mille


9 comments:

  1. Very well said!! I completely understand needing to take a step back...sometimes it does get to the point where crafting isn't enjoyable anymore. I will still be here when you post your awesome creations!! Merry Christmas to you and your family :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will certainly be here! Love all your work, your style is very creative and innovative and I love seeing your pictures of your family! Knowing you personally, I competely understand where you're coming from.

    Enjoy your time and we'll see you back here when you're good and ready.

    Have a more than fabulous holiday!!!
    Love ya!!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. More power to you. There's no point in doing something because you have to. You will enjoy it much more when you do it because you want to. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I can certainly relate and understand! You said it well and it's easy to get sucked in and lose track of the reason you started to begin with! Kudos to you...I will continue to be here... I love all your work! It is amazing and can see that you pour your heart into your creations and that you really have a passion for it. Enjoy the time off and we will be here when you post!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    Sherrie K
    http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this part of your life. I honestly like to look at anything craftsy out there to help inspire myself. I'll continue to follow and look forward to your future postings!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this side of you. I'm new to viewing all blogs, but I'm hoping one day it will all click and I can share my creations in the same manner. I like to see things that people create because it helps inspire me, so I look forward to your future posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! such candor!! thanks for sharing that with us! and I will be here looking....whenever you do post, I will see and learn! thanks again! and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for stepping out there to share what's on your heart. Your post came at a time when I was actually thinking about stepping away from my blog as well as it no longer seems to serve the purpose it once did. I've decided to take it one day at a time and see what evolves as there are no "blog police" out there telling us when, what or how often we must post. I hope you have a wonderful and peaceful 2014. I will still be there whenever you decide to post. I love your style and can't wait to see what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I miss you on the DCWV design team. I loved your projects, they were always awesome! I'm glad you're doing what
    makes you happy :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...