Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Birthday Card for My Sister

Happy Saturday everyone!  I have spent a few hours putting together a birthday card for my younger sister.  I also decided to play along with the challenge at Cooking with the Cricut.  The challenge is to make a project featuring gel pens or markers, and/or alternatively, use a sun.  I really enjoy the way these challenges are pulling me out of my comfort zone to get me to do things I haven't done before.  I've had an Amy Chomas' Gel Pen Holder for probably seven or eight months now and have never used it! Ridiculous, I know. So, I decided to pull it out and put it to work.  And to add a little more difficulty, I wanted to use a sun as well.  Here is the finished card!   




You guys know how much I love dimension right?  Well, I wanted to create some, but in reverse.  I cut out the sun image on the card and all of its layers, and then placed the sun that I drew with the gel pen inside the card.  The face of the sun is a Peach Keen stamp stamped in Stampin' Up's Not Quite Navy.





On the inside of the card, I used a Tagxedo word cloud that I generated specifically for my sister's birthday.  This is the coolest site!  Diane from CapadiaDesign posted about it a while ago.  I've been meaning to try it out and this card gave me the perfect opportunity.  I took a poem about sisters and birthday and used that, along with a few other key words to generate this word cloud.  I saved it, printed it on Cardstock, and cut it down to fit into the card.  I love it!  There are so many options with this site!  The creative applications are really limitless.


Lastly, I used a stamp that I picked up from Michael's eons ago for the sentiment.  I added a few accents that are from one of my Verve stamp sets to make it stand out a bit.  I cut it out using Spellbinders inverse scallop squares.  I hope you like it!!

Recipe:
Paper:  K & Company Citronella
Cartridges:  Elegant Edges (layers), Pack Your Bags (sun)
Tag:  Spellbinders Inverse Scallop Rectangles
Stamps:  stash & Verve
Word Cloud:  Tagxedo

Thanks for stopping by!!

10 comments:

  1. This card makes me happy. One lucky sister you got

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Happy is what I was going for! Lol. Thanks LB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fabulous with all of those layers and great colors!! Fantastic. Your sister will love it!

    I tried PMing you on the MB, but your mailbox is full. Just wanted to thank you for your kindness yesterday and a few other things, but I just thought I would visit here and tell you instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely GORGEOUS card!! I love the dimension and the sun cutout all the way through to the bottom! So creative and beautiful! LOVE it :)

    Lisa
    http://indymermaid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card. Love the dimension with the sun. Thanks for playing along with us at Cooking with Cricut.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so creative and so talented!! This card ROCKS too:) TFS and thanks for playing with us again this week at Cooking With Cricut!
    ~Madison CWCDT funkycards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome card, Dayna! Love all the layers and dimension. Thanks for linking up at Cooking With Cricut this week.

    ~ Jen, CWC Design Team
    www.gator-4-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, that dimensional card is just soooo stinkin' cute! Love everything about it! Thanks for the link to the "word cloud". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is such a lovely, vibrant card! this can surely make a wonderful sister birthday wishes on her special day! Thanks for sharing.

    xxxx Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...