Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Easter Treat Gift Boxes

I am sitting in sunny Florida right now missing my craft room considerably.  Since I am unable to finish anything new over the next several days I thought I would take some time to post one of my favorite projects that you haven't seen before.


My crafting background - I started scrapbooking when my oldest son was less than a year old.  I finished a couple of books for him and then found out that his little brother was baking.  Well, my boys are less than two years apart in age and I was one tired mama for quite some time. As fate would have it, it was almost five years later before I started crafting again.  It happened rather unexpectedly actually.  I had purchased a Cricut expression after watching an infomercial late one night (clearly that type of marketing works eh?) in the Spring of '08 but I really didn't know how to use it.  It looked really cool on the infomercial!  It sat on my kitchen table for a really long time, then found its way back to the box until December '09 arrived and a few friends and I decided to get together to craft.  


What we ended up doing was drinking a lot of wine while we pretended to make Christmas cards.  Okay, maybe we didn't completely pretend, I do think I came away from that night with a few finished things.  But, really, it was that moment that sparked something for me.  I started googling scrapbooking on the internet and was amazed at the transformation crafting had gone through in the short time I had been away from it.  Blogs, digital scrapbooking, svg files,  Oh My!  Can I tell you it was months and months before I even knew what an SVG file was?  But nevertheless, I fell in love with crafting again, and by the Spring of '10 I was ready to go.  Armed with a Cricut Expression that had barely been used, and a bunch of carts I found on Ebay that I had to have (because there were only so many at the time), I started working on little things here and there.  Mainly cards, and boxes and such.  This is one of my first *favorite* projects.  These are Easter treat boxes I made for my sons' teachers.  Without further adieu - here they are!! 




The files for the boxes came from Denise Hill at Paper Pastime.  She is incredibly talented and always very generous with her hard work.  I used the cookie tower file to create the treat box and the carrier file to create the case.  You can find both of these at Denise's website here.   I believe the files can be downloaded in SVG format or as a .cut file for Cricut Design Studio. 







I altered Denise's file a bit to include a bunny and a flower from the Easter seasonal cartridge.  I simply inserted the image in the file right where I wanted it and it cut a window that I covered with plastic that I cut from a clear page protector.  I printed the labels "Chocolate"  and "Jellybeans" on my computer and cut them out using spellbinders ovals, and then matted them on ovals I cut from my Cricut - I can't remember which cartridge they came from - hey, it was a long time ago.  There are so many cartridges with this image on it now it shouldn't be hard to find!  The flowers are all Prima flowers that picked up from Michael's.  The ribbon tag is another Spellbinders tag from their Ribbon Tags One set.  The "Handmade with Love" is a stamp from Papertrey Ink.


This was one of my first *big* projects and it took me a looooonnnnggg time to complete.  It's funny when I think about it now.  I think it turned out really well for the relative novice I was at the time.  I hope you guys enjoyed seeing it.  Leave me a comment if you do!!


Thanks for stopping by!!


3 comments:

  1. I love these boxes. So pretty! Have a great day.
    Judy
    Stop by my blog if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great stories,love the boxes so very pretty you did a great job with them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...